7 Mar 2011

[Captains Blog] Les Saintes

Just got to tell you about yesterday's event - as we were sailing from Guadeloupe to Les Saintes, I was on the helm talking to Debra when I saw a massive plume of water off to the port side. "Wow, what on earth was that?" I exclaimed. Debra was off her seat in an instant. "Where?" she said. "There! Look, it's a whale and it's breeching!" Sure enough this gigantic whale leapt out of the water, hovered in the air for a few seconds, then crashed back down onto the water creating another tremendous splash of foaming white spray. Then another one rose up beside it and did the same thing. The two whales were having a great time and performed twice more for us, I was transfixed, unable to tear my eyes away. It was simply magical for me, and I think we had seen a once-in-a-lifetime event.