18 Dec 2010

[Captains Blog] Admiralty Bay, Bequia

The week didn't get off to a good start when the sea decided that on the first day that I took some underwater shots with my waterproof camera, it wasn't waterproof. I was about to take some of the best underwater pictures I could ever dream of and the damn thing let water seep into the workings and it broke down. Tried turning it off, and on again, Nope. It wouldn't respond. I Thought the battery had run down so I charged it up again, back in the camera, Nada. Even after drying it out for several days, it still flatly refuses to function, so no more photos in the blog until I can arrange a replacement from Olympus.

The sail back up through the islands to Bequia was a good beat up to windward, with Pandora sailing only 30 degrees off the wind and still making nearly 8 knots in a 15 knot wind. We took the windward route off to the east of Mayreau, Canouan, and Petit Canouan; passing just to the west of Savan Island and Petit Mustique, a quick dip in towards Mustique itself to have a look, then on to pass between Pigeon Island and Isle a Quatre before  arriving in Admiralty Bay, Bequia.

The bay has been very rolly this week with swells coming straight in and catching us broadside while at anchor with our nose to the wind; it was swaying us and all the boats around us so much it was difficult sleeping, so we upped anchor after one night and moved closer inshore where it might be calmer. No, it was still just as rolly there. So, on the advice of some regulars, we upped anchor again the next day and moved across to the other side of the bay, not as picturesque, but in terms of the roll factor, much better.

It hasn't helped this week that I have been laid up with a fever for nearly four days - I don't know where it came from, but I was very glad when it went, and I hope it decides never to return. A couple more days taking it easy to regain my strength and we'll be away again for another sailing run, probably back to the Tobago Cays for Christmas. I might even treat myself to a lobster on the barbie ...